200 S Laurel Ave - Room D5-3D02
Subject matter expert in optimization, performance, reliability, data networking, SDN, NFV
Kathy leads the Optimization, Reliability and Customer Analytics Department (ORCA). Her team provides AT&T with statistical and data analysis, optimization, and performance and reliability modeling to optimize AT&T’s networks, services and customer experience. Kathy joined AT&T Bell Laboratories in 1984 in the Network Design and Performance Analysis Department. During her time in AT&T Labs, Kathy served as a performance, reliability and scalability consultant to organizations within AT&T, for a variety of telephone, mobile, security and IP services. In 2005, Kathy joined AT&T Government Solutions as a Technical Manager, where she was responsible for operating a large private network, as well as for defining new technologies and services for the network. She was promoted to Executive Director of the Network Engineering and Operations Division in Government Solutions in 2009, and returned to AT&T Labs in 2012.
Kathy received her Ph.D. in Operations Research from the University of Delaware in 1984 with a research focus in Applied Probability and Queueing Theory. Prior to obtaining her Ph.D., she spent a year at the University of Stuttgart and at Technion. In 1991, she was a visiting researcher at Rutgers University Wireless Information Network Lab.
Kathy resides in Cranbury, New Jersey. She and her husband have three young adult sons. In her free time Kathy enjoys traveling, gardening and reading.
- K. S. Meier and M. F. Neuts, "On the Use of Phase Type Distributions in Reliability Modeling of Systems with a Small Number of Components," O. R. Spektrum, 2, 227 - 234, 1981.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "A Fitting Algorithm for Markov-modulated Poisson Processes Having Two Arrival Rates," European J.of O.R., 29, 370-377, 1987.
- A. E. Eckberg and K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "An Effective Method for Delay Distribution Approximation for Token Rings with Large Numbers of Nodes," Proc. 12th International Teletraffic Congress, Torino, Italy, 1988.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "Parcel Overflows in Queues with Multiple Inputs," Proc. 12th International Teletraffic Congress, Torino, Italy, 1988.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "The Analysis of a Queue Arising in Overflow Models," IEEE Trans. on Comm., Vol. 37, No. 4, 367-372.
- D. M. Lucantoni, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, M. F. Neuts, "A Single Server Queue with Server Vacations and a Class of Non-renewal Arrival Processes," Adv. Appl. Prob., Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 676-705, September 1990.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern and P. E. Wirth, "Packet Switch Engineering Procedures When Customer Characteristics are Uncertain," IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Comm., Vol. 9, No. 2, February 1991, pp. 142-150.
- W. Fischer, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "The MMPP Cookbook," Performance Evaluation, Vol. 18, pp. 149-171, 1992.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, P. E. Wirth, Y-L. Yan, D. A. Hoeflin, "Traffic Models for ISDN Data Users: Office Automation Application," Proc. 13th International Teletraffic Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 1991.
- J. Chang, D. Houck, K. Meier-Hellstern, J. Russell, P. Wirth, "Switch and Intelligent Network Architectures for Evolving Cellular,” Proc. International Conference on Communication Technology, Beijing, China, September 16-18, 1992.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, G. P. Pollini, D. J. Goodman, "A Wireless Service for the IEEE 802.6 Metropolitan Area Network," Proc. Globecom '91, Paper 55.6, Phoenix, AZ, December 2-5, 1991.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, G. P. Pollini, D. J. Goodman, "Network Protocols for the Cellular Packet Switch," Proc. IEEE. Vehic. Tech. Conf., Denver, CO, May 11-13, 1992, pp. 705-710.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, G. P. Pollini, D. J. Goodman, "Network Protocols for the Cellular Packet Switch," IEEE Trans. on Comm., Vol. 42, No. 2/3/4. Part II, pp. 1235-1244, February/March/April 1994.
- K. S. Meier-Hellstern, E. Alonso, D. O'Neil, "The Use of SS7 and GSM to Support High Density Personal Communications," ICC '92, paper 356.2, pp. 1698-1702.
- E. Alonso, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, G. P. Pollini, "Influence of Cell Geometry on Handover and Registration Rates in Cellular and UPT Networks," Proc. 8th ITC Specialists Seminar on Universal Personal Telecommunications, Santa Margherita Ligure (Genova), Italy, October 12-14, 1992.
- G. P. Pollini, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, D. J. Goodman, "Handover Protocols between Metropolitan Area Networks," Proc. Globecom '92, paper 1.3, Dec. 6-9, 1992.
- D. J. Goodman, G. P. Pollini, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "Network Control for Wireless Communications," IEEE Communications, Vol. 30 (12), pp. 116-125, December 1992.
- D. Houck, K. Meier-Hellstern, F. Saheban, R. Skoog, "Failure and Congestion Propagation Through Signaling Controls," Proc. 14th International Teletraffic Congress, Antibes, France, June 6-10, 1994.
- G. P. Pollini and K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "Path Optimization Procedures and Efficient Routing of Information after an Inter-Switch Handover," Proc. 1994 International Conference on Networks for Personal Communications, March 16-18, 1994, Long Branch, NJ.
- S. Rao, D. Goodman, G. Pollini, K. Meier-Hellstern, "Interworking Between Digital European Cordless Telephony (DECT) and IEEE 802.6 Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)," Wireless Networks: The Journal of Mobile Communication, Computation and Information, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 83-94, 1995.
- G. P. Pollini, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, "Efficient Routing of Information between Interconnected Metropolitan Area Networks," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 3, No. 6, December 1995.
- G. P. Pollini, K. S. Meier-Hellstern, D. J. Goodman, "Signaling Traffic Volume to Support Mobile and Personal Communications," IEEE Comm. Mag. , pp. 60-65, June 1995.
- Y. Bakshi, A. Diaz, K. Meier-Hellstern, R. Milito, R. Skoog, "Overload Control in a Distributed System," in Proc. ITC15, Teletraffic Contributions for the Information Age, V. Ramaswami and P. Wirth, Editors, Elsevier, 1997, pp. 571-582.
- F. Huebner, K. Meier-Hellstern, P. Reeser, "Performance Testing for IP services and Systems," in Performance Engineering, State of the Art and Current Trends, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2001.
- A. Karasaridis, K. Meier-Hellstern, D. Hoeflin, “Detection of DNS Anomalies using Flow Data Analysis,” Proc. Globecom 2006.